Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National UniversityAdd to Favourites
Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi National University was established in 1875 as the Franz-Josephs-Universität Czernowitz. The university was a Romanian higher education institution until the reunification of Northern Bukovina with Ukraine in 1940 when it was recognised as a higher education institution in Ukraine. In 1989 its name changed to what it is known as today and in 2000 it was declared a National University.
Academically the university is divided into 16 colleges, which include engineering, applied mathematics, biology, economics, law, and foreign languages among others. There are 71 departments within the colleges, each offering a variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
In collaboration with other institutions in Ukraine, the university founded the Bible and Culture Research Centre. This was set up to study the main problems faced in the fields of humanities and social sciences. The university is also affiliated with the Science-Research Bukovina Study Centre, which carries out innovative research projects throughout the year.
Since it opened the university has developed partnerships with higher education institutions around the world. Countries include: Poland, China, Romania, USA, Israel, Germany, Austria, and Yugoslavia. Students and staff at the university are given the opportunity to study abroad as part of various exchange programmes facilitated by these international connections.
The university is located in Chernivtsi, a city in western Ukraine. The city has a rich and complex history, having been a town in Moldavia before it was passed to the Turks, Austrians, Romanians and finally the Soviet Union in 1940. Since the 20th century Chernivtsi has been an important industrial centre, specialising in woollen and cotton textile processing, food processing, timber working and light engineering.
2, Kotsiubynsky Street, Chernivtsi , 58012, Chernivtsi Oblast, Ukraine